Saturday, August 13, 2005

Barretts

When we were clearing the family house after the deaths of my uncle and aunt, we found a trunk containing various items of interest including some relating to the Barretts. My Grandma Randle was Beatrice Barrett before her marriage. There were two pieces of paper torn from a book with lists of Barrett births and deaths.


The C Oak refered to is, I think, a cousin, Charlotte Oak. Beatrice and Benjamin are the children of Edward Reginald. Their mother died when they were very young so they were 'Granny Reared' as Beatrice put it, by Benjamin and Lydia.

Benjamin and Lydia married in 1852 in Devonport and had six children. Four sons survived childhood, Edward Reginald, David, Joseph and Andrew, born between 1854 and 1863. Benjamin's occupation was cordwainer (shoemaker); but in the 1870s the family seem to have moved from the Plymouth area to Islington, London. In the 1881 census Benjamin and two of his sons, Joseph and Andrew, were working for the GPO as postmen. Edward R. was still living in Plymouth with his wife Mary Jane, and new born daughter Beatrice.

Although there is nothing written on this photo, I feel sure it is B. and L. with their Grandchildren, Beatrice (my grandmother) and Benjamin Junior. Sadly, Benjamin Junior died of peritonitis at the age of sixteen.




I've attempted to upload a copy of the Barrett Family Tree but I think it is going to be too small to be readable. If anyone would like a larger copy, I can email you one.



No comments: